top of page

The Death and Funeral of John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford - March 1555

  • thedudleywomen
  • Mar 14
  • 6 min read

Updated: Mar 15

'John Russell, Lord Privy Seal', 	Artist: Hans Holbein the Younger, c.1539 © Woburn Abbey
'John Russell, Lord Privy Seal', Artist: Hans Holbein the Younger, c.1539 © Woburn Abbey
On 14 March 1555, John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford, Lord Privy Seal, died at his Westminster home, 'Russell House' (later known as 'Old Bedford House'), on The Strand, being approximately 70 years old. Russell, who had been born in c.1485 in Dorset, had first come to the direct attention of Henry VII in 1506, being appointed as a Gentleman of the Privy Chamber the following year. Following his son Henry VIII's accession in 1509, Russell's position at court continued to grow, gaining promotions throughout the reign, in addition to fighting in multiple campaigns in France and Italy; he was knighted in 1522, after losing his right eye fighting in siege of Morlaix. He was fortunate to have survived the downfalls of both Thomas Wolsey and Thomas Cromwell, England's Lord Chancellors, to whom he was closely aligned. He was appointed to the Privy Council in 1536, shortly after the marriage of Henry VIII to Jane Seymour, at which he was present. In 1540, shortly after the execution of Cromwell, Russell was appointed as Lord High Admiral (1540-1543), and in 1542, was granted the position of Lord Privy Seal, a ceremonial but senior position within the Privy Council, which he held until his death (Tallis, 2016; History of Parliament Online, 2025).
'Baron Russell', as he had been appointed in 1539, had been one of sixteen men nominated by Henry VIII to sit on the 'Regency Council'; this advising group would be formed after Henry's death, with the aim of protecting and promoting the interests of his 9 year old son Edward, who was to become king. Other trusted men chosen included John Dudley, Viscount Lisle (later Earl of Warwick and Duke of Northumberland), Sir William Herbert and Edward's maternal uncle Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford, the latter soon arising as head of the council, adopting the title of 'Lord Protector' and being granted the Dukedom of Somerset (Weir, 1996; History of Parliament Online, 2025). Following Henry's death and Edward's subsequent accession in January 1547, the Earldom of Bedford later being bestowed on him by the king in 1550, in addition to the former monastery of Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire, which the family would later make their primary residence (Tallis, 2016).
'Edward VI and the Pope'. Unknown Artist, c.1570 © National Portrait Gallery, London
'Edward VI and the Pope'. Unknown Artist, c.1570 © National Portrait Gallery, London
In October 1549, Russell (along with William Herbert, now 1st Earl of Pembroke), in response to a lack of confidence from the council and privy councillors regarding his ability to lead, persuaded Edward Seymour to abandon his position as Lord Protector, without resistance or bloodshed. This led to his arrest and initial imprisonment in the Tower of London, and the subsequent promotion of John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, as head of the council, adopting the title of 'Lord President'. Russell continued in his role as privy councillor and member of the Regency Council, under Dudley. He also benefitted financially from Somerset's downfall, as his previous lands of 'Convent Garden' and nearby 'Seven Acres' was granted to him following Seymour's execution in January 1552 (Wiffin, 1833; Weir, 1997; de Lisle, 2008).
'The crown offered to Lady Jane Grey'. Artist: C.R. Leslie, 1827 ©Woburn Abbey
'The crown offered to Lady Jane Grey'. Artist: C.R. Leslie, 1827 ©Woburn Abbey
Bedford appears to have been one of the members of the Privy Council, who on 09 July 1553, made the journey to Syon House, where they informed the young Lady Jane Grey of the death of Edward VI, and offered her the Crown of England, in accordance with the late king's 'Devise for the Succession'. Bedford was known to have been one of the privy councillors who greeted Jane following her arrival at the Tower of London, the following day, 10 July, following which a proclamation was issued announcing the death of Edward, and accession of 'Jane the Quene'. Bedford was also one of the privy councillors who signed their name to a letter sent to Henry VIII's daughter, Lady Mary Tudor, on 11 July, advising her that Jane had been invested as queen, and advising her to give up her claim. However, only days later, the Privy Council abandoned their support of Jane and her Dudley allies, and having left the Tower of London, proceeded to proclaim Lady Mary as the rightful Queen of England on 19 July (Weir, 1997; Tallis, 2016). Following Mary I's accession to the throne, the central figures to the attempted coup were imprisoned, including John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland, his five sons and daughter-in-law Jane Grey. To others who initially supported Jane's cause, including Bedford, Mary was generous, absolving them of any responsibility (she clearly viewed Northumberland as the instigator and traitor), and allowed them to continue in their positions within the royal court; Bedford was appointed to her Privy Council, where he continued to hold the position of Lord Privy Seal (Wiffin, 1833).
'Philip II of Spain and Mary I of England'. Hans Eworth, 1558 ©Woburn Abbey
'Philip II of Spain and Mary I of England'. Hans Eworth, 1558 ©Woburn Abbey
As someone who had adopted the new Reformist religion, Bedford voiced his discontent regarding the proposed marriage between Mary and Philip II of Spain, expressing concerns about the joining of two Catholic monarchs and countries. However, when Mary married Philip at Winchester Cathedral on 20 July 1554, Bedford was one of four nobles chosen to give the queen to her new husband 'on behalf of the whole realm', with the couple later proclaimed jointly as King and Queen of England (Whitelock, 2009; History of Parliament Online, 2025). His role in the royal wedding appears to be Bedford's last significant public event; in the months following, his attendance at the Privy Council began to dwindle, with his last appearance being on 11 January 1555. Knowing his death was near, Bedford wrote his will, dated 02 February 1555, in which he made provisions for his only son and heir, Francis, his wife Anne Sapcote, Countess of Bedford, and his servants. In regards to his burial, his only requests were to receive a Christian burial, and to be buried in a location that the will's executioners felt appropriate. His health deteriorating, Bedford died at his Westminster home, Russell House, on 14 March; his death was mourned in the West Country, where he orignated from and had for decades held parliamentary positions, as church bells rang in addition to locals engaging in public mourning (Wiffin, 1833; History of Parliament Online, 2025; The National Archives, 2025).
St Michael's Church, Chenies ©Chenies Manor House and Gardens
St Michael's Church, Chenies ©Chenies Manor House and Gardens
In the days after his death, Bedford's body was transported the thirty miles north-west, back to his manor of Cheynes, Buckinghamshire; his funeral hearse was accompanied by three hundred men on horseback, lead by his son and heir Francis, 'Lord Russell'. Many clerks and priests were part of thist procession, in addition to heralds, with banners of arms, crosses and banners of images proudly displayed. 16th century diarist Henry Machyn described the procession from Westminster, reporting that in every town and parish the cortège passed through, they were greeted by priests and clerks, and "mett...with crosses" (Nichols, 1848, pp. 83-84),
Six days after his death, on 20 March, Bedford's funeral was held at St Michael's Church, the 15th century parish church serving the manor of Cheynes. Machyn also documented details of the funeral, reporting that Bedford was buried the day after the funeral procession arrived at Cheynes, with the chief mourner being his son Francis. Machyn described an extravagant funeral, confirming that 'a great deal of money' was spent on the service, as well as the subsequent mourning feast (Nichols, 1848).
'Bedford Chapel, St Michael's Church, Chenies' © Chenies Manor House and Gardens
'Bedford Chapel, St Michael's Church, Chenies' © Chenies Manor House and Gardens
Bedford's widow, Anne Sapcote commissioned the building of a new chapel within St Michael's Church, attached to the northern side of the church eponymously named 'The Bedford Chapel'. A stone tablet, built and inscribed into the chapel wall, is dedicated to its building and consecration in 1556:
Anno Dni 1556
Thys Chappel ys, built by Anne
Countysse of Bedforde wyfe to
John Erle of Bedford accordyg to ye last wyll of the sayd erle.
Following the Countess of Bedford's death two years later, in August 1557, son Francis Russell, now the 2nd Earl of Bedford, commissioned a marble monument for the couple in the newly consecrated Bedford Chapel. The chapel subsequently became the mausoleum of the Russell family, even after the abandonment of Chenyes as a primary residence in the 17th century. Their son Francis was interred here after his own death in 1585, with their granddaughter Anne Russell, Countess of Warwick also choosing to be buried here, rather than with her beloved husband Ambrose Dudley, 3rd Earl of Warwick (Wiffin, 1833; Middlesex Heraldry Society, 2025).
 
Bibliography: 'RUSSELL, Sir John (c.1485-1555), of Berwick, Dorset; Russell House, the Strand, Mdx and Chenies, Bucks.', History of Parliament Online. [website]. Available at: https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/russell-sir-john-1485-1555 (Accessed 06 Mar 2025). de Lisle, L. (2008) The Sisters Who Would Be Queen: The Tragedy of Mary, Katherine and Lady Jane Grey. London: Harper Press. 'Heraldry of the Bedford Chapel, Chenies Buckinghamshire'. Middlesex Heraldry Society. [website]. Available at: http://www.middlesex-heraldry.org.uk/publications/monographs/chenies/cheniesBKM-foreword.htm (Accessed 06 Mar 2025). 'Will of John Russell, Earl of Bedford of Bedford, Bedfordshire'. The National Archives. [website]. Available at: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D954238 (Accessed 06 Mar 2025). Nichols, J.G. (ed.) (1848). The Diary of Henry Machyn, Citizen and Merchant-Taylor of London, from A.D. 1550 to A.D. 1563. London: The Camden Society.
Tallis, N. (2016). Crown of Blood: The Deadly Inheritance of Lady Jane Grey. London: Michael O'Mara Books Ltd. Weir, A. (1997). Children of England: The Heirs of England. London: Pimlico. Whitelock, A. (2009). Mary Tudor: England's First Queen. London: Pimlico. Wiffin, J.H. (1833) Historical Memoirs of the House of Russell from the Time of the Norman Conquest. Vol 1. London: J. Moyes.
 

Comments


bottom of page